top of page
Assumed to be slave quarters, new research conducted in 2014 revealed the true history of the Barracks Building...
The Union Barracks, formerly known as the Cook's House, is a circa 1867 barracks building built for Union troops stationed in Mobile during the Reconstruction period.
This structure is one of the few surviving Reconstruction buildings in the southern United States.
Originally located two blocks south of Oakleigh, it was relocated by the Cole family in the early part of the 20th century.
It is now open to the public on special request and tells the story of Reconstruction and Emancipation in Mobile.
bottom of page